Course Entry Requirements
GCSE grade 6 in Maths.
This highly regarded and enjoyable A Level will impress any future employer and prepare you for further study in a wide range of disciplines involving the use of Maths . We are very proud of our Maths students’ outstanding record of achievement over many years. You will receive first class tuition using a variety of teaching strategies. We also offer an excellent support programme too.
What you will study
- The A Level builds on what you learnt at GCSE level (number, algebra, graphs, trigonometry)
- Introduction to calculus and its applications
- How mathematical ideas are interconnected
- How to make sense of data, to understand the physical world
- How to solve problems in a variety of context
You will take three exams at the end of the second year of study.
- Your individual needs are continually assessed and monitored throughout the year.
- Formal tutorials are then put in place to address any specific problems you may be having.
- At exams time, the department runs a series of comprehensive revision sessions.
- No Maths students are ever struggling for support
- Problem Solving Workshops
- Educational Talks about mathematical careers
- Maths Workshop with Professor from Oxford University
- Competitions including UKMT Senior Maths Challenge and Liverpool Maths Society Pop Maths Quiz
- Extension paper support for students wanting to study at competitive institutions and need to take an admissions test
Maths can lead to a wide range of courses in both further and higher education. There are many other diverse areas where mathematical skills are recognised as invaluable and essential. If you are planning to study a mathematics based course at university, we recommend you also study A Level Further Maths too.
A Level Maths can lead to a myriad of careers, some obvious ones include accountancy, banking, engineering, medicine, computing and scientific statistical research.