Course Entry Requirements
GCSE grade 5 in English Language & Mathematics.
Science requirement – GCSE grade 55 in Combined Science or GCSE grade 5 in Biology plus one more grade 5 from Chemistry/Physics.
This is an engaging subject taught by enthusiastic, experienced staff. It involves the scientific study of the mind and human behaviour. You will develop skills valued by universities and employers, including critical analysis, independent thinking and research.
What you will study
Memory. Attachment, Social Influence, Psychopathology, The Approaches, Biopsychology, Research Methods, Issues & Debates, Cognition and Development, Schizophrenia and Forensic Psychology.
Three examinations at the end of year two
Paper 1: Introductory topics in Psychology
Paper 2: Psychology in context
Paper 3: Issues and options in Psychology
- Well-qualified, enthusiastic and experienced staff including AQA examiners
- A variety of teaching and learning styles • High quality learning resources tailored to students’ needs
- One-to-one and group tutorials
- Assessments against exam criteria and constructive feedback
- Regular progress meetings and action plans for continuous improvement
- ‘Stretch and Challenge’ activities for our more able learners
- Trips and visits
- Specialist lectures organised by the exam board
- Workshops and lectures from guest speakers and practitioners
An A Level in Psychology can take you anywhere. It is one of the most transferable subjects you can study providing you with a variety of skills. Over a third of our students progress onto Psychology degrees with the intention of becoming psychologists.
Students have also progressed on to careers in medicine, vet science and a range of health professions, dentistry, law, teaching, business, sport and the media to name but a few.