A Level Graphic Design Entry Requirements
Any Art & Design GCSE Grade 4 or a Technology GCSE Grade 4 including Resistant Materials, Product Design, Graphics Products, Textiles or equivalent. However, if you haven’t studied Art, no problem, just come and speak to one of the tutors.
Graphic Design is one of the biggest growth areas in the Creative Industries. This subject encompasses all of the traditional art and design skills alongside new emerging technologies. You will develop skills to communicate and solve design problems for companies and campaigns and progress to leading universities for every kind of art and design specialism or Carmel’s UAL Foundation Diploma.
What you will study
• Project-based assignments to develop thinking, communication and problem solving skills
• Learning new skills working by hand, with tutorials in typography, printing and illustration
• Web, layout, concept art, packaging and film and motion graphics workshops
• Use of a range of industry standard Adobe software, including Photoshop, Illustrator, Premiere and InDesign
At Advanced Level you will be introduced to a variety of experiences that employ a range of traditional and new media processes and
techniques appropriate to your level of study.
• Component 1: Personal Investigation (60%) A practical investigation, supported by written material, into an idea, issue, concept or theme leading to a finished outcome or related outcomes.
• Component 2: Externally set assignment (40%) A choice of eight questions to be used as starting points with one being selected. Supported by preparatory work presented in sketch books, journals, models and mounted sheets, along with 15 hours of examination time.
- Engaging lessons delivered by experienced and supportive staff
- Additional support tutorials
- Regular feedback to improve skills and knowledge
- Regular live briefs and competitions
- Future progression workshops
- Talks from visiting speaker
This course develops a wide range of transferable skills that are sought by employers and universities. Many of our students take up places at the UK’s leading Universities for every kind of art and design specialism. Some students also take up places on Carmel’s UAL Foundation Diploma.
• Access HE courses including Illustration, Animation, Games Design, Graphic Design and Architecture
• Use your creativity, problem solving, organisational and communication skills to access a variety of other courses where your skills will be beneficial e.g. Science and Medicine, the Social Sciences, Languages as well as Business related courses.
• Many students go on to study at prestigious universities e.g. Goldsmiths, University of the Arts London, Falmouth, Leeds, Edinburgh and Glasgow
Our former students have gone on to do amazing things with many working in the industry at places like ITV, ASOS, Net-a-Porter, Everton FC and Missguided – update these to ASOS, Liverpool Football Club, Ralph Lauren, JD Sports, The HUT Group and Boohoo. Students have gone on to work in a variety of areas for example: Architecture, Advertising, Branding, Events Promotion, Animation, Magazine, App Design, Illustration, User Experience (UX) Design.
Follow us on Instagram – @carmelcollegegraphics