Course Entry Requirements
Any Art & Design GCSE Grade 4 or a Technology GCSE Grade 4 including; Resistant Materials, Product Design, Graphic Products, Textiles or equivalent. If you haven’t studied Art, no problem, just come and speak to one of the tutors about the A Level Fashion & Textile Design course.
Fashion and Textile Design is an exploration of surface, texture, colour, materials and construction. You will engage in the design process, from initial inspiration to final realisation. You will also experiment with print, dye, stitch and constructed textiles and develop an understanding of professional contexts in fashion design, interior design and art textiles. If you enjoy being creative, have an interest in design and are excited to learn new skills, this course could be perfect for you!
What you will study
• Develop skills based on a range of project themes
• Gain inspiration from a broad variety of fashion and Textile designers
• Investigate the design process more independently
• Enhance and develop practical skills further
Year 1- Portfolio of practical work
Year 2- Two units:
• Component 1 (60%) – Personal investigation (1,300 word written study)
• Component 2 (40%) Practical coursework including a timed 15 hour practical exam
• Excellent facilities and specialist tutors
• Continual assessments to monitor progress
• Regular tutorials
• ‘Stretch and Challenge’ activities
• One-to-one progression support
- Annual visits Graduate Fashion Week
- Fashion shows, gala fashion shows and portfolios from a range of higher education courses
- Showcase work in exhibitions
- Talks and workshops from industry professionals
This course develops excellent organisation and visual communication skills that can enhance a future career in any area. Many students progress to a range of degree courses or Carmel’s UAL Art Foundation Diploma.
There are many career opportunities within the fashion & textiles industry leading to specialisation in, for example: Womenswear, Menswear, Styling, Fashion Buying, Fashion Promotion, Costume Design for theatre and television.