If you are expecting to receive the highest grades in your GCSEs and are interested in applying to the most prestigious universities, then the High Achievers + Programme at Carmel is for you.
It will support you, it will challenge you and it will inspire you to be the best you can be academically and to succeed in your chosen path beyond Carmel.
High Achievers + Videos
Click the video below to watch a short introduction about our High Achievers + Programme.
Click the button below to listen to what our students say about the Programme
How do I become a part of the High Achievers + Programme?
• You need an average GCSE points score of 7 or above.
• You can be identified by your subject teachers as Gifted or Talented and you will be invited to participate in the High Achievers + Programme through the HA+ Super Curriculum
How is the High Achievers + Programme delivered?
• Delivered by a Curriculum and a Pastoral Team
• Support and challenge are at the heart of our High Achievers + programme
• Every student in the High Achievers + Programme will be part of a High Achievers tutor group
What is the HA + Super Curriculum?
• All students on our programme participate in our HA+ Super Curriculum
• Delivered by your teachers, the Heads of subjects and the High Achievers Programme Co-ordinators.
• The High Achievers Co-ordinators are teachers who specialise in specific curriculum area progression, advice and opportunities. They co-ordinate and deliver an outstanding super curriculum offer across all our subject areas.
HIGH ACHIEVERS + PATHWAYS:
Our programme offers bespoke pathways for students that wish to aim for:
• Oxbridge Pathway (Oxford and Cambridge)
• Russell Group and Sutton 30 universities Pathway
• Medicine, dentistry and veterinary science (MDV) Pathway
• Talent Pathway (Art, Design including Architecture, Performance and PE)
• Vocational career access Pathway (High calibre apprenticeships and opportunities)
Careers advice and Work experience
Additional AS Levels
The Extended Project Qualification (EPQ)
This sought-after qualification is offered to all High Achievers and will demonstrate your subject enthusiasm and can even lower your UCAS points offer. Find out more about EPQ.
A snapshot of some super curricular work in different areas across the college
English / MFL / Law
• Work experience placements in France.
• Links with the University of Salamanca and guest speakers have visited Carmel to give seminars to our High Achievers.
• An insight into linguistics programme, designed by the University of Birmingham, for High Achieving Spanish students.
• Pathways into Law programme offered by the University of Liverpool.
• Mock trial competitions.
• English literature lecture and seminar programme on specific aspects of unseen texts
Former French student, Aiden Dillon, has recorded 2 vlogs with advice about studying French and applying to Oxford
• Participation in UKMT Challenges and Events
• MathsSoc Sessions to investigate and explore Maths in the real world.
• Opportunities to discover the wide range of the Mathematical Sciences with talks from guest speakers
• High Quality preparation for MAT/TMUA/STEP tests
• UCAS Oxbridge Interview Practice sessions
• Pathways into Banking and Finance delivered through the Sutton 30 Trust is encouraged for those lower sixth students interested in this field
• Opportunities for work placements with local MPs.
• Opportunities to participate in Debating Society and ESU Schools’ Mace debating competition.
• List of wider reading and extra resources for wider curriculum.
• Eligibility for pre-university Economics course at University of Manchester
• Educational trips to Jaguar factory, London financial area and University of Manchester Business School
• Online course provided by UK Parliament on Law Making- optional course available to students during Enrichment
• Programme of careers talks from business industry experts
• Profiles, case studies and talks from inspirational former Business students
• Visits from top accountancy firms including KPMG regarding higher apprenticeship support
Art and Digital
• Largest Creative Careers Event in the UK (hosted at Carmel).
• Free Creative careers book for all High Achievers which includes inspiration case studies on Alumni and Industry leaders.
• UAL progression partner workshops, interview preparation and University visits.
• Outstanding department organised Work Experience opportunities including CISCO UX Design and the Open Eye Gallery.
• Participation in Degree level lectures and events including the Fieldwork Photography Symposium.
• Bespoke workshops with prestigious Drama Schools for audition techniques including Mountview, ALRA, RADA, LIPA, Royal Central School of Speech and drama and Royal conservatoire of Scotland and Wales.
• Participation in the National Theatre Connections Festival (working with NT to perform a specially written play, performed in house and this year at The Lowry)
• Participation in the National Theatre New views project and Barbian Box project.
• Working professionally as a Designer as part of ‘Carmel Graphics’
Destinations of High Achievers + Alumni
Our Oxbridge 2021 success!
Jack Hale, St Edmund Arrowsmith (Whiston), University College Oxford, Law
Aiden Dillon, De La Salle, New College Oxford, French
Elise Don, Broughton Hall, Hertford College Oxford, French & Spanish
Eleanor Reece, De La Salle, St Peter’s College Oxford, Engineering
Ben Atchison, Christ College Cambridge, Chemical Engineering
Maddie Bailey-Moyes, Padgate Academy, Gonville & Caius College Cambridge, Mathematics
A snapshot of progression routes for recent High Achievers + students
Charlotte Bond, Great Sankey High School , University of Cambridge, Human, Social and Political Sciences
Eva Carroll, Notre Dame Catholic College, University of Cambridge, English
Ethan Powell, Broadgreen International School , Durham University, Philosophy, Politics and Economics
Lauren McGrath, St Edmund Arrowsmith (Ashton), Ernst and Young, Degree Apprenticeship
Yasmin Baker, Belvedere Academy, Imperial College London, Medicine
Hannah Moss, Wade Deacon , University of Leeds, Medicine
Kaitlin Naylor, Rainford High, University of Leeds, Chemistry
Lauren Cheung, Great Sankey High School , University of Liverpool, Law
Shaun Lockett, Rainhill High , University of Liverpool, Aerospace Engineering
Isobel Saunders, Tower College , University of Liverpool, Veterinary Science
Billy Maddox-Ogden, Rainhill High, University of Liverpool, Dentistry
Steven Dodd, Rainhill High, Newcastle University, Modern Languages
Harry Natton, Woodchurch High School, Newcastle University, Spanish, Portuguese and Latin American studies
Beth, Laidlaw, Rainford High , University of Nottingham, Pharmacy
Faye Kirwan, Lord Derby Academy, University of St Andrews, English
John Redman, Golborne High School, UAL Central St Martins, Fashion Design with Marketing
Alanah Connor, St Edmund Arrowsmith (Whiston), University of Edinburgh, MA History of Art
Lauren Morton, Rainford High, University of Edinburgh, MA Fine Art
High Achievers News
For more information contact Dan Saunders, Head of High Achievers at firstname.lastname@example.org
View Russell Group Informed Choices for guidance about choosing your A Levels so you make the best choices for your future career.