The Aims of the High Achievers’ Programme
At Carmel we are keen that all of our students reach their full potential. Our High Achievers’ Programme is designed to ensure that our most able learners are given the encouragement and assistance they need to achieve success.
Delivered by the High Achievers’ Co-ordinators, who are specialists in their areas, the Programme offers activities, events, and support throughout your time at Carmel. These activities provide you with the best possible preparation for applying to Oxbridge and other prestigious institutions, as well as for Medicine, Dentistry, Veterinary Medicine and other highly competitive degree courses.
What is a ‘high achieving’ student?
- Students who are academically able and have achieved a GCSE average of 7 or above (grade 7s and above at GCSE or equivalent)
- Students who wish to study at Oxford or Cambridge or at a Russell group university, or who want to study Medicine, Dentistry or Veterinary Medicine degrees
- It is possible to gain entry onto the High Achievers’ Programme by performing well in the internal college exams
The High Achievers’ Programme
Students following the High Achievers’ Programme will receive support through:
- Talks, workshops and events
- Visits to Oxford & Cambridge universities
- Help with university applications
- A monthly newsletter
- Admission test preparation and mock interviews
- Careers / UCAS advice and presentations
- The chance to experience university life on the Cambridge University Shadowing Scheme
- Enrichment activities and societies to develop skills and support applications to prestigious institutions
- The opportunity to study for the Extended Project Qualification
Click the link below to view an Introduction video to our High Achievers’ Programme
Watch our High Achievers’ video here:
Career Specific Programmes
The High Achievers’ Programme includes activities and support to develop the skills needed for your next step. Preparing for your future is an important part of your time at Carmel and the Programme offers you specific career related activities that may be relevant to your particular career aspirations.
We offer activities to prepare you for the following careers:
There are also numerous opportunities for students to sign up for enrichment activities and societies within college which support students in their applications to prestigious institutions. Here are but a few…
- MedSoc (for those wishing to study Medicine, Dentistry or Veterinary Science)
- Debating & Reading groups
- UK Maths & Team Challenge, Liverpool Maths Society ‘Pop Quiz’
- National Bar Mock Trials
- Engineering Robots and SciSoc (for those wishing to study Engineering or the Sciences)
- European Youth Parliament
SciSoc is a society for those students looking to study a Science related degree at Oxbridge or another prestigious university.
View the SciSoc video
If you are aspiring to have a career in Medicine, Dentistry or Veterinary Science, then take a look at our MDV Programme –
View the Med, Dent, Vet Programme video
High Achievers News
For more information contact Nicola Walker, Head of High Achievers at Nicola@carmel.ac.uk
Follow our Twitter account @CarmelAchievers
View Russell Group Informed Choices for guidance about choosing your A Levels so you make the best choices for your future career.