At Carmel College we offer a variety of Bursaries to full-time students of all ages as listed below.
The application process only becomes available through your child’s e-portfolio once they are enrolled at the college. If help is needed to complete the form we can provide this.
The General Bursary Award
*Revised Bursary Fund Threshold*
Following a review the college are pleased to be able to increase the eligibility threshold for bursary fund applications to £28k (previously £25k). This means if your annual household income is £28k or less, you may qualify for financial support from the Bursary Fund of up to £700 per annum. Please complete the electronic application via your e-portfolio on Connect. You can speak to your PAT or the Finance Team if you have any questions. If you have previously applied and been unsuccessful (for being over the threshold) your application will automatically be re-assessed so keep an eye on your college emails for updates.
If your total annual household income is £25,000* or below you may be entitled to financial support of up to £700* per year. The Bursary is tiered dependent up each students’ individual needs focusing on those students who face the greatest financial barriers to participation.
The Bursary is available to eligible students whose total household income does not exceed the threshold for eligibility and they are in receipt of the following:
- Income support
- Income based Job Seekers Allowance
- Income related Employment Support Allowance
(Must be received in conjunction with Disability Allowance)
- Personal Independence Payment
- The guarantee element of State Pension Credit
- Support under part 6 of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999
- Earned wages from a job
- Self-Employed earnings (we may request evidence of your company registration or tax return form)
- Child Tax Credit
- Working Tax Credit
- Universal Credit
The Transport Bursary is available to students qualifying for the General Bursary to help towards the costs of a bus pass if the student lives outside a 3 mile radius of college.
The Targeted Bursary offers financial support for students who are in care, a care leaver, in receipt of income support, Universal Credit or disabled and in receipt of Employment and Support Allowance and Disability Living Allowance. For eligible students the award provides funding to the value of £1,200 per year (£120 over ten months).
Free Meals Allocation
To be eligible for a free meal in the academic year 2021-22 you must be aged between 16 and 18 on 31st August 2021. If you turn 19 during your year of study you will remain eligible for a free meal until the end of the academic year. Free meals are targeted at disadvantaged students. To qualify, you should be in receipt of, or have parents in receipt of, one or more of the benefits listed above with an annual household that does not exceed the Government threshold, dependent on benefits.
- Extra financial support available in extenuating circumstances
- Additional Bursary support for Students requiring assistance towards curriculum essential trips such as Geography and Modern Foreign Languages*
- Loan equipment essential for completion of course work*
- Help with childcare payments – See here for further information
*Subject to the availability of funds and the number of eligible applicants
Sarah Cowley Educational Trust
- For young people aged 16-24 who are resident in the Borough of St Helens
- For help with buying items such as tools, instruments, books, travel and clothing
- Applications are encouraged from young people who have experienced significant financial hardship
- Applications must be submitted by the end of September
- For more info from St Helens Council click here
- To download Certificate of Attendance form click here
- Click here to apply for Sarah Cowley financial support
Other useful links:
- 16-19 Financial Support Guidance
- EFA Funding Guidance
- Learner Support Service provider hotline – 0300 303 8610
- 16-19 Bursary Fund Queries – Email: 1619bursaryfund.EFA@education.gsi.gov.uk
- Helena Kennedy Foundation HE Bursary Applications