Our Head of Additional Learning Support / SENCO, Clare Griffiths, is your key contact. Clare liaises with the Additional Study Support Tutors, Additional Support Assistants, Tutors, and Care Assistants to ensure the necessary support is in place for students.
The college also has an extensive network of contacts with outside agencies. The Learning Support Team will treat you as an individual and will help to identify what support and/or equipment may be appropriate to your individual needs. Individual support recommendations and actions will be agreed to make your life at Carmel as accessible and independent as possible. Additional Learning Support could include, for example;
- Adapted equipment – adjustable chairs, variable height tables
- Course materials eg. handouts, reading lists, given in advance
- Curriculum support – information technology, additional tutor
- Examination support – adjustable desks, large type question papers, extra time, readers, scribes, laptop computers etc.
- Extra support in or out of class
- Extra time for assignments or tests
- Handouts in alternative formats such as large print or taped information
- Individual study skills and advice – coursework, planning, time management, revision, exam techniques, essay and report writing, stress management etc.
- Note takers
- Rest breaks
- Tape recorders
Support for students with a wide range of learning difficulties/disabilities
The Learning Support Team have experience of working with students with a wide range of learning difficulties/disabilities eg dyslexia, dyspraxia, ADHD, hearing and visual impairment and Aspergers Syndrome. Students who have a medical condition which may affect their studies should also inform the Learning Support department.
The Learning Support Team will ensure that your tutors are aware of your individual support needs and there are opportunities to review your progress on a regular basis. This information will be treated confidentially and only shared with those who need to know.