Welcome to Physics
Physics is a fascinating subject for those who are interested in the study of the ‘smallest to the largest in the known Universe’.
If you have an inquisitive mind and excellent mathematical skills then this may be the subject for you!
Awe, wonder & explore’ activity
- This project is designed to encourage you to explore the awe and wonder of physics. Click here for this activity.
We have a bespoke programme at Carmel, called ‘Tomorrow’s engineers club’.
- Click here for instructions for one of the activities ‘build a Rube Goldberg machine‘ that you can try at home with your family.
A level Physics
Please click on the links below and watch the videos to gain an insight into the content for year 1 of A-level Physics:
- Quantum physics – the photon
- Electricity – IV characteristics
- Particle physics – CERN & the standard model
- Mechanics – Newton’s 2nd law of motion
- Materials – Graphene the next revolution
- Waves – The double-slit experiment
Please use the links below to explore careers relating to physics and engineering:
- ‘Why study A level physics’ IOP leaflet
- IOP leaflet: 100 jobs in STEM
- National Space Academy Careers
- IOP leaflet: What is engineering?
- Make a difference to the world booklet: Engineering at University
- Make a difference to the world booklet: Vocational and apprenticeship routes into Engineering
- Career route map into Engineering
- From idea to career booklet: Explore 12 areas of Engineering
- Developing employability skills through STEM subjects
N.B. All A-level physics students are strongly advised to study A-level Mathematics.