BTEC Applied Science Entry Requirements
You will need grade 44 in Combined Science or 2 grade 4s in separate Sciences, along with grade 4 in both GCSE English and GCSE Maths.
This is a very well structured, practical science course leading to nationally recognised qualifications. You will develop research and study skills useful for further education and the workplace and the opportunity to progress to HE courses and careers in many science-based industries such as Primary Teaching, Childcare, Nursing, Sports Management or Sports Training. You can choose to study the Extended Certificate (equivalent to 1 A Level) or the Diploma (equivalent to 2 A Levels).
What you will study
The course covers all three sciences of Biology, Chemistry and Physics but in an “applied” context. That means you will not only learn the science but also how it is used in real life organisations.
- Unit 1: Principles and Applications of Science
- Unit 2: Practical Scientific Procedures and Techniques
- Unit 3: Science Investigation Skills
- Unit 8: Physiology of Human Body Systems
If you choose to study the Level 3 Diploma, equivalent to 2 A Levels, you will complete 8 units in total over the two years
There are a combination of internally assessed assignments and external examinations.
Your expert tutors will give you extensive support and guidance throughout your time on the course both during lessons and through the college tutorial system. We pride ourselves on taking a personal interest in your success.
- Friendly, supportive tutors
- Exam preparation tutorials
- Coursework tutorials
- One-to-one support
- A fully equipped laboratory which is suitable for a full range of chemistry, physics and biology work plus individual practical science investigations of different kinds.
- Specialist biology physics and chemistry equipment is also available for use in Applied Science, by arrangement with the separate science departments.
- A fully connected computer room and wireless laptops that can be used for a variety of purposes in the laboratory.
- Research Tasks
- Guest Speakers
- Trips and visits
- Higher Education visits
This course will prepare you for a career in many science-based industries. These include Primary Teaching, Childcare, Nursing, Sports Management or Sports Training. Many students progress to study a wide range of subjects including Forensics, Construction, Animal Behaviour, Biochemistry, Physiotherapy and Biomedical Sciences. Other students choose to follow Apprenticeships in laboratory work or Engineering.