Course Entry Requirements for Photography A Level
Any Art & Design GCSE Grade 4 or a Technology GCSE Grade 4 including Resistant Materials, Product Design, Graphics Products, Textiles or equivalent. However, if you haven’t studied Art, no problem, just come and speak to one of the tutors.
Photography plays an important role in an ever changing digital world. Whether digital or analogue, photography is about visually communicating. You will see and capture the world around us, composing images and manipulating lighting. There are work experience opportunities and links to creative industries.+
What you will study
You will learn how to capture images across a number of fields of Photography including Fashion, Portraiture, Street Photography, Documentary, Sport, Fine Art and Studio. As part of the course you will also cover the following areas:
• Digital Photography skills, techniques and technology to improve and enhance your ability to capture effective, interesting and engaging images
• Digital editing and processing techniques and processes
• Unit 1 Practical portfolio based on a theme of your choice (60%)
• Unit 2 External Assignment (40%)
• Friendly, supportive tutors
• Regular one-to-one tutorials
• Feedback and guidance to progress your work
• Access to a darkroom and lighting studio
- Workshops with industry professionals
- Exhibitions to p[resent your work in public galleries
- Local, regional and national competitions
- Work placement opportunities
Gaining employability skills is an integral part of the course, and as a result we regularly offer work experience and internship opportunities, which have involved working with a number of companies, charities, galleries and arts organisations. Students have also been successful at presenting their work in local, regional and national photographic competitions.
Many students go on to study Photography at a Higher Education level within a range of leading universities. Our students have been successful in accessing a wide range of competitive degree courses or creative apprenticeships, based on the strength of their portfolio, skills and expertise which they develop through studying A Level Photography.
Exam Board Course Specification
Click the link below to watch the Course Introduction video
Photography students win in the Liverpool City Region Photo Awards